Tips to Prepare for a Successful Move
6-8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Inventory and evaluate your belongings, including items in your attic, basement, garage.
- Determine if there is anything you can either donate or sell.
- Make arrangements for storage services.
- Begin using perishable items in your house like cleaning products and frozen foods.
- Make a list of people to notify of your move including friends, family, subscriptions, creditors, and others.
3-4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Notify utilities (cable, phone, electricity, etc.) of your service shutoff date.
- Arrange for insurance in your new location.
- Make travel arrangements for the day of your move.
- Don’t make plane reservations for the actual day of your move. Give yourself 1-2 days cushion to handle any unexpected events.
- Purchase moving supplies, including boxes. We can help! Call 207-947-4114 now.
- Begin packing any items that you will not need immediately.
- Have a garage sale for your unneeded items or donate them to charity.
- Make sure your car is in good working order if you plan to drive to your new location.
- We can transport your car for you, just let us know.
- Settle any outstanding bills with local merchants.
- Empty safety deposit boxes.
- Pick up dry cleaning.
- Drop off library books and video rentals.
- Take pets to the vet for immunization and to retrieve their health records.
2-3 Days Before Your Move
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
- Pack a box of personal items you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home.
- Contact your MaineMoving Relocation Coordinator to confirm the moving professionals’ arrival time.
- Notify your Relocation Coordinator of any last-minute details.
- Make sure that someone is at home to answer the moving professionals’ questions.
- Pack special items for children and pets, including snacks, toys, and any favorite items.
- Clear walkways and driveways.
- Remove floor mats and doormats.
- Remove low-hanging items like plants or wind chimes.
- Point out special items to your moving professionals immediately.
- Read your bill of lading and inventory carefully before you sign them.
- Make sure you understand all the paperwork and keep it safe until the moving process is complete.
- Find out as many details as you can before the driver leaves your residence.
- Make sure the driver has clear directions to your new residence.
- Your MaineMoving driver may give you a delivery estimate.
- Understand that certain conditions (traffic, weather) can affect delivery times.
- Try to be flexible.
- Take one last sweep of your house, checking all closets, the garage, attic, and basement. You don’t want to find out that an important (or heavy!) item was left behind.