Every home move begins with one important question: move by yourself or hire movers. Below are five compelling reasons why it’s smart to hire trained professionals for your upcoming local or interstate move.
1 The physical and mental STRESS
Moving from one home to another is a process that involves a lot of stress almost every step of the way. Even when you hire professional movers to handle your move, there may be some stress for you too. However, those worries are nothing compared to the overwhelming amount of stress you will be put under while handling your move all by yourself. It’s a daunting task better left to the professional movers who do it every day.
2 ACCIDENTS can happen in the blink of an eye
There’s no denying that moving house can be a rather dangerous effort. In fact, there are too many things that can go terribly wrong during a move but nothing is worse than sustaining a personal injury due to an accident. And when big and heavy objects are involved, bad accidents are never out of the question.
“When you hire experienced movers, you invest in protecting your valuables and keeping yourself out of harm’s way.”
If you’ve never had to move house before, the chances are that you won’t really know what it takes to guarantee safety on Moving day. You could hurt your back while lifting improperly your heavy dresser or you could slip and fall due to a single wrong step when taking your sofa out of the home.
- You can’t carry heavy furniture pieces and overfilled moving boxes all on your own.
- Will your friends be willing to help you out on the day of the move? Will they show up? That’s definitely something to worry about.
- What if you injure yourself while lifting heavy furniture or move large boxes around? Then what?
- How can you keep move-related accidents from happening?
- Will you be able to protect your valuable possessions from getting damaged during the move? What about the weather?
- The mere thought of having to rent and drive a large moving truck across multiple states or cross town trafic sounds frightening. And it is.
3 Moving by yourself takes FOREVER
In practice, it’s the formidable job of packing for a move that will be the most time-consuming of all tasks in your personal moving checklist. And it’s never only the sheer action of placing your items inside cardboard boxes that will take the most time – it’s mostly the preparation tasks before that that will eat up a large chunk of your time leading up to the move-day. It’s the hours that add up when sorting out your items, then getting rid of the ones you no longer need, then looking for suitable packing materials, and finally – boxing your possessions safely so that they can survive the move.
Therefore, one of the reasons why you shouldn’t move by yourself is the lack of sufficient time to get yourself organized for a self-move. So, when you have roughly a week or less until you need to move out, it’s that expert relocation efficiency that you should rely on to get the job done.
Professional movers are very efficient and are able, in most cases, to finish move-related tasks up to 3 times faster than non-professionals. Professional packers and movers work fast thanks to extensive training and years of experience, but more importantly, they work with safety in mind.
4 Do-It-Yourself moves are “sneaky” EXPENSIVE
Most people assume that renting a truck and moving by yourself is always cheaper than hiring a professional moving company to do it for you. And while such an assumption may be true for a small fraction of local moves (and everything goes according to plan) where the distances are not that great, attempting a long-distance move on your own can easily turn into a nightmare from a financial point of view.
You need to understand that each and every mile during a cross-country move increases the cost of moving by yourself to the point where the self-move attempt becomes more expensive than hiring a crew of experienced movers to do it for you much more quickly and safely than you could ever do it without professional assistance.
The home moving process is an expensive affair in general, but self-move expenses can easily soar simply because of the numerous hidden costs of moving on your own:
- Purchasing packing materials
- Renting moving equipment
- Fuel and truck rental fees
- Truck rental insurance
- Penalty fees for returning the rental truck late or returning it with less fuel than required
- Parking fees
- Road tolls
- Food and lodgings along the way
- Property damage
- Injuries (medical bills)
- Emergency costs
- Paying a good moving company to pack up and transport your personal items hundreds or thousands of miles away is about securing your own safety (and that of your family members), guaranteeing your peace of mind that your valuables are in good hands and transferring the notorious move-related stress to somebody else so you can actually enjoy your home move in your own way.
5 The mere though of moving yourself is OVERWHELMING
And honestly, sometimes you just don’t feel like doing all the hard work that’s involved in a house move. Just the thought of what lies ahead terrifies you and overwhelms you at the same time. And that’s when paying to get full-service movers pays off BIG TIME.